Sunday, May 3, 2009


ALJ Approval Rates



A person fighting a Social Security disability appeal, after getting turned down twice in the appeal process, takes the case to an Administrative Law Judge. The database posted by The Oregonian makes it possible to check on the approval rate of any Administrative Law Judge in the country. The judges are not supposed to make decisions based on their own subjective emotions about a case. Our cases are to be decided on the law. People deserve equal treatment under the law. It is disappointing to see such huge differences in the approval rates of judges. As a representative, I need to do the best job that I can in presenting the evidence and the legal arguments. My job is to be totally prepared to present the claim. I can't worry about who the judge is. If a judge makes a mistake I appeal that decision to the Appeals Council, and if that does not work I can take the case to federal court.




No comments: